Friday, August 14, 2009

Insert Uncreative Title Here

I bought a feather pillow today, and I'm pretty excited. Why? Well, in the science class I took last semester, my professor wrote weekly articles about a recent studies in the world of science. We had to read them, and we were also assigned a day in which we had to make a powerpoint and just explain the article for that week to the rest of the class. [I never had to do that, though, because my assigned date was during the last week of school, and we ran out of time to do the presentations, so a couple other students in I missed out on presenting them...sad, I know.]

Anyway, one of these articles was about bed bugs, particularly bed bugs mating in our pillows. I can't remember the complete details of the study/article, but basically a study showed that bed bugs reproduce in pillows, which is how they accumulate in our beds - something about being trapped in a bedroom and not having any way to get in or out, so reproduction has to take place under our heads. [That probably doesn't make sense, but I don't have the article anymore, so I can't explain exactly what it said.]

However, scientists found that the solution to this is to either put your pillow in the drier for a bit (which you would have to keep doing constantly because it's only a temporary way to get rid of them) or get a feather pillow (because for some reason bed bugs don't like feather pillows - they believe that is because birds have oil or whatever in their feathers, which stays on the feathers even when they are in pillows, and these bugs don't like this oil or something.)

The idea of bed bugs reproducing under my head while I slept horrified me, so ever since then I have been telling myself to get a feather pillow. And I finally did. $7.99 at Target w00t :)

In other news, I just remembered that as part of the Entertainment Journalism class I'm taking in the fall, we have to create a blog, and we must blog daily. Bah! I'm nervous about that, seeing as how I don't blog every day...or have anything interesting to blog about (except bed bugs apparently.) But I'm also excited because it means I'll be forced to write every day. And maybe if I can handle that blog better, I will make it my permanent blog and say goodbye to this one.

Also, my professor for that class emailed us today reminding us about this and to bring out laptops to the first class so we can get started on it right away. That's cool. I mean, I'd bring my laptop to school with me every day because it's easier to take notes with...except my laptop is big and heavy...and will probably not fit well in my new school bag, at least not with a binder or spiral along for the ride. Hopefully it's just the first class where we have to bring it. If not, walking to and from school is going to be fun. But it's just one day a week, so whatevs.

No comments:

Post a Comment