Friday, August 21, 2009

Thursday, 8-20-2009, you were good to me.

[Yesterday]:

1. My new deep red, microfiber love seat was delivered bright and early yesterday morning. I had ordered it a month ago, didn't hear anything about it's arrival by Aug. 17 like I was supposed to, then got a letter on Wednesday telling me the delivery place had been trying to contact me. [Um...no one called me about it, but ok.] I'm very happy with it and with the re-arrangement of my furniture, which I stayed up till 1:30 am Thursday morning trying to figure out before it arrived. Look at my apartment, looking all grown up:












2. I picked up my refund check from St. Ed's while I was at school (and deposited it today.) It's about the same amount as my summer paychecks, so with last Friday's check and next weekends check, it's like getting paid three weeks in a row instead of every two weeks!


3. I met with my fellow Freshman Studies interns (the ones that are interning in the same lecture as me, at least). I picked Literature & Philosophy (there are about 6 or 7 different lectures), along with whatever writing class went with it of course, because I took it as a freshman, so I already have the books. But I also really enjoyed the class.

One of the lecture professors was there to talk to us about what we should tell the students in our writing classes about the "Absolutely Not's" of the Literature and Philosophy lecture. And he's an interesting fellow. For example - some of his quotes from the day (to be imagined in a philosophical, poetic German accent):

  • (On telling us what to tell our freshman class about the lecture rules:) "Upon entering the threshold of Jones Auditorium, there is no talking, no drinks, no food, and none of those (points to m phone, which, of course, had to be the only phone sitting on the table)...No Blackberries, or...blueberries...whatever they're called. Because technology is evil."
  • "Basically, tell them to just keep us happy. Because if we're happy, then they're happy."
  • And, upon having met some of the freshmen during freshman orientations over summer, he said they are extra rowdy this year and have "the attention span of grasshoppers."
I know the freshmen are going to feel like they will never be fond of this man upon meeting him - because I felt that way when I had him freshmen year. But in time, they will learn to love him and the class. Why?
  • While "no talking" may seem absolutely impossible, it's actually nice to just sit and listen/be introduced to new music (which he likes to play as students are coming in, hence, the "no talking part"; the music was one of my favorite parts of the class.)
  • The movie clips/videos (some humorous, some not humorous, some plain old beautiful.)
  • Writing the papers for lecture is based purely on your thoughts on the prompt (no research necessary, except for the research of your brain - CANNOT complain about that.)
  • Good literature
  • Listening to the two professors bicker with each other. (They're good friends but disagree on almost everything.)
And if none of that does the trick, the previously mentioned professor's love of chocolate - and sharing of his chocolates - will. Yes, when you go to his office to talk to him, he will always ask if you'd like a piece of chocolate. And another. And another. And another...



4. And last, but miles away from least...I bought tickets to see my favorite band: The Sounds!




My cousin introduced me to them back in high school, and I've been dying to see them live ever since. I wasn't sure if I should spend the money. But they weren't even supposed to play in Austin and I could acertainly afford it (even without the refund check, though getting that is what made me finally decide to buy the tickets), so I decided to shell out the $43 for two tickets for my sister and me (not bad at all!) So Friday, October 9 at 9pm, I don't know what you'll be doing, but I'll be at La Zona Rosa making a four year dream come true. (Also, they said in an MTV show interview they posted on their Facebook that they always like to party with the crowd right after the show since they usually play at small venues like they will here...so maybe I'll even get to meet them!)

So, just thought I'd share because days piled with good-ness on top of good-ness are hard to come by.



1 comment:

  1. soooooo cute! i really like your couch and from what i can see the way your apt is set up.

    ReplyDelete