Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I love buying people presents...

You know, finding that perfect gift for someone that you know so well, you don't even have to look before you think, "I know! That would be perfect!" Or even just stumbling upon something perfect for someone, whether it's their b-day (or Christmas) or not.

However, there is one person I have never been able to think of a present for. I've been seeing this guy for almost two years now, and I never have any idea what to get him. For his birthday last year, I finally thought of the perfect present: the fourth season of The Office (his favorite show, that he waits for the DVD release to watch), which came out a couple weeks before his birthday. I pre-ordered it over a month in advance so that it would be delivered to me a couple days after its release. The release date rolls around, then the next day or so I get it in the mail. THEN the next day, we're having dinner, and I tell him that I got his birthday present and that I might give it to him early (because I didn't want him to buy it before I gave it to him.) "What is it?" he asked. I can't tell you, silly! I told him it was something that he wants. "Is it The Office?" he asked. I smile and say nothing - I'm a terrible liar (which is why I don't lie very often.) Then he tells me he bought it the day it came out.

It was a very frustrating moment in my life. I finally found something perfect for the guy I like, and it falls through. Well, he just moved into a new apartment, and when I went to see it the other day I thought to myself, I should have gotten in him a housewarming gift or something. (I think I get so frustrated with my inability to think of gifts for this guy that I use any event as an excuse to look for a present for him.) So a couple days ago - when I was zoning out to my professor's lecture during class - I thought of a cute little housewarming gift: an incense holder + incense.

I bought my incense holder (black base, with a green dolphin - the blowhole is where you put the incense stick - cute!) at Earthbound Trading Co., because you get 15 free incense sticks, a few years ago. So I thought, well that's a cute idea. Luckily my mom was in town for the night last night, so I got her to take me there. They didn't have a very wide selection yesterday, but I think I found one that he'll like and will match his place.

Now, the question is whether or not he will like this gift. Ok, so this isn't one of those presents I was talking about that's the perfect gift for someone. As far as I know, he's never had incense. But here's why I think he'll like it:
  1. He's never complained when I've lit some at my place, so that's a good sign that he doesn't hate it.
  2. The other day he came over after I had lit some and said it was nice to walk in to a nice smell for once (he thinks anything I cook smells bad - which is not true) so the smell of incense apparently pleases him - at least that particular scent, which is my personal favorite, that I can only get at Earthbound, and is what I got him (15 of that and 15 french vanilla - keeping it safe with that one.)
  3. He's a fan of Febreeze, so he likes his living area to smell nice, I suppose. (Personally, I prefer incense to Febreeze. Febreeze covers scents for awhile, but incense overrides bad odors and sticks around.)
I'm just a big fan of the incense, and I think it's something that all people should have (unless you're like my mom and it gives you a headache.) So we'll see.

Well, there's two and half hours until my test, so I should probably study. (I've read through all my notes (minus the last four pages) once, so I might just reread through them at work. There are too many to try and do a lot of memorizing, which is my usual strategy for these kinds of tests, as long as I do it within the few hours before the test.

<3>

4 comments:

  1. im sure he will love it. and i completely agree. shopping for boys is so difficult. except for once, anthony is really easy to shop for. he likes clothes from american eagle. haha so thats pretty easy. and he likes hats and anything dallas cowboys or houston rockets. that leaves my options pretty open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I've never had to shop for a boy until he came along, but on top of being a guy he can get almost anything he wants, and therefore has anything he wants, which is stuff I can't afford. But I've been noticing little things that he gets. For example, he's always buying art work/photographs to put on his walls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well thats a good thing. because then thats ideas. especially if hes moving into an apt. he's always gonna need things. maybe get him some frames? with a picture of yall hahah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, he buys stuff in frames. And he just bought more to add to the like 5-8 he already has haha. I don't think he'd care about having a pic of us haha but I've thought about it. but all the ones i have are from like a year and a half ago. and i look bad in pretty much all of them haha

    ReplyDelete